SOUTH AFRICA | Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel Recipes
Chef Rudi Liebenberg has kindly shared some perfect accompaniments for your traditional South African BBQ courtesy of The Nellies kitchen.
Roasted Baby Potatoes
My good friend Bertus Basson made this one day when we were having lunch at Overture, I don’t normally eat a lot of potato but this pushed me over the edge. This is my own version.
For 6 people
1kg baby potatoes
2 ltr water
4 sprigs of thyme
1 bay leaf
1 garlic clove, crushed
50ml olive oil
½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
100ml sour cream
3 tbsp chives, chopped
- Boil potatoes with herbs in salted water until soft.
- Remove from the heat strain and cool down to room temperature
- Cut the top of each potato in a criss-cross with a sharp serrated knife.
- Gently squeeze with your thumb and index fingers to push some of the inside of the potato to the top.
- Place onto a roasting tray and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast in a preheated oven at 200°c for 8-10 mins, just enough to crisp the tops of the potatoes.
- Serve with sour cream and chives.
Baby Marrow and Patty Pan Salad
100g thinly sliced baby marrows
100g thinly sliced patty pan
5g toasted sunflower seeds
5g toasted sesame seeds
5g pumpkin seeds
10g baby mixed leaves
For the dressing:
½ garlic clove
½ tsp ginger
1 tsp chopped coriander
½ tsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp honey
25 ml canola oil
12 ml rice wine vinegar
Juice of ½ lime
Little zest of lime
Salt and pepper to taste
Finely chop or grate ginger and garlic, add chopped coriander and chopped chilli. Whisk the honey and mustard and add the vinegar, slowly add the oil to form a dressing. Add the remaining dressing ingredients and stir.
Assemble the salad by tossing all the ingredients together with the dressing as required.