GERMANY | Two Christmas Recipes from Kempinski's Hotel Adlon in Berlin and Hotel Atlantic in Hamburg
The Kempinski hotels in Germany have sent us the below little treats, perfect for recharging during the holiday season and making sure you stay on the nice list!
Hedda Adlon Punch
Tip from our Adlon Lobby Bar.
3 cl dark rum
0.5 cl passion fruit syrup
0.5 cl cinnamon syrup
1 cl lemon
8 cl fresh orange juice
Pour the freshly squeezed orange juice with orange slices, passion fruit syrup and lemon juice in a pot. Then season with the cinnamon syrup and cook at a low level, but do not boil. Now add the rum and again briefly heat. Serve hot in a cup and garnish with an orange slice and a cinnamon stick.
Kempinski Atlantic Cinnamon Stars
1½ cups hazelnuts or blanched almonds, finely ground
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¾ tsp grated lemon zest
¼ cup egg whites (about 2 large)
Pinch of salt
1½ cups confectioners' sugar
About ½ cup additional confectioners' sugar for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminium foil.
- Combine the nuts, cinnamon, and zest. Beat the egg whites on a low speed until foamy, about 30 seconds. Add the salt, increase the speed to medium-high, and beat until soft peaks form, 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar and beat until stiff and glossy, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Reserve one-third of the meringue (about 1/3 cup) and fold the nut mixture into the remaining meringue.
- Place a large piece of waxed paper on a flat surface and sprinkle with additional confectioners' sugar. Place the nut mixture on the sugar, lightly sprinkle with more confectioners' sugar, top with a second piece of waxed paper, and roll out until ¼ inch thick. Remove the top piece of waxed paper and using a cookie cutter dipped in water, cut into 2-inch star shapes or use a sharp knife to cut into diamonds. Reroll and cut any scraps. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until set, 10 to 12 minutes. Spread the reserved meringue over the top of the cookies and bake until the tops are lightly coloured, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let cool.
Zimtsternen (Cinnmon Stars) taste best if allowed to stand for 24 hours. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 weeks.
Check out our other German blog about Santa Claus.
See our Flavours of the Festive Season Pinterest board.